Education / Scholarship
The purpose of the program is to promote the development of the complete person through academic, fraternal, campus, and community excellence of undergraduate members, both individually and as a group.
The program began in the Fall Semester of 1999 awarding one $500 annual scholarship based on the criteria listed below. As funds became available the program was expanded to include one additional $500 scholarship. In 2008 we were proud to announce the inclusion of several new annual scholarships:
- The Tom Demeter Memorial Scholarship -- $250 annually
- The Kevin/Beile Wu Brock Scholarship -- $300 annually
- Three annual scholarships from a TKE International program entitled SOAR (an acronym for Scholarship = Organization, Attitude, & Resources)
- $200 for chapter’s top scholar
- $200 for most improved scholar
- $200 for top new member scholar
- The SOAR Scholarships will be awarded at the end of the fall semester. SOAR is funded by alumni contributions to TKE International.Applications/nominations do not have to be submitted for the SOAR scholarships.
Any full-time (12 credits) University of Akron student who is also an active member of Beta Rho Chapter of TKE is eligible to apply or be nominated. The student must be in good standing with the chapter and the university to be considered as a recipient.
The Scholarship will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Scholarship — a minimum accumulative grade point average of 3.25 is required for consideration for all scholarships with the exception of the Brock Scholarship which is a 2.5.
- Fraternal Involvement
- Campus Involvement
- Community Involvement
- Financial Need
Applications, along with a copy of grades and verification of current term enrollment, are to be submitted to:
Beta Rho Chapter of TKE Alumni Association Scholarship Program
C/O Dan Buie, Faculty Advisor and Chair of the Scholarship Committee
Honors Complex 172, Honors College
The deadline for receipt of applications/nominations is the end of the second week of fall and/or spring semester unless the deadline is extended. Email completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Alumni Scholarship Committee will award scholarships on an annual basis for the Fall and Spring semesters of each academic year. Summers are not included unless the recipient is officially enrolled in a U of A Co-op Program that requires class attendance in the summer. The current amounts of the scholarships are as follows:
- $250 per semester for the two Alumni Scholarships
- $125 per semester for the Tom Demeter Memorial Scholarship
- $150 per semester for the Brock Scholarship
- $200 per year for each of the SOAR Scholarships
In the event that a recipient of the scholarship does not meet the retention requirements of the award (i.e. GPA, 12 credits, good standing status, etc.), then the scholarship will not be renewed for a second semester.
The membership of the committee is as follows:
- Beta Rho Chapter Faculty Advisor
- Undergraduate Hypophetes (unless being considered for scholarship) / Ex-Officio
- One Alumni Association Member
- Chapter Advisor